What To Do If Your Dog Eats Nail Polish

I am sure that most of us love our pets, dogs especially. Man’s best friend shows us unconditional love and is always there to watch out for us and protect us. By their nature, most dogs are mischievous and sometimes make mistakes, so what to do if your dog eats nail polish?

The first thing to do is remain calm. Realize the fact that my dog ate nail polish, does not have to be a problem. Most brands these days are non-toxic, so in most cases your dog will be unharmed. If you are concerned, consult your veterinarian.

There are several factors to consider including, size of your dog, whether there is a toxic sign on the bottle, how much has been ingested etc. You should be aware of all of the risks of your dog eating nail polish and also what action to take if your dog ate nail polish remover. There are several other factors to consider, so for the sake of your loyal pet please keep reading while I explain.

What are the risks to my dog if he Eats nail polish or nail polish remover?

The risks to your pet in the case that he ate nail polish, or if your dog ate nail polish remover need to be deeply examined. There are no clear-cut answers, so it is always advisable to err on the side of caution.

There have been tests done on various nail products, which showed that even nail polishes labeled toxin-free actually contained one of toluene, formaldehyde or dibutyl phthalate (DBP) which are actually known as the “toxic three”. Clearly, this is a potential cause for concern.

These chemicals have been proven to be harmful to health if inhaled, so we can only speculate on what damage they would cause if swallowed by your pet. It is a matter for our judgment to decide the level of risk involved.

Some veterinary experts believe that the risk is minimal and not too much to worry about. You should, however, consider the potential risk to you and your pet if you choose to use nail polish products that contain any of these chemicals.

We would certainly recommend that you seek out the safest “toxin-free” nail polish products (check on Amazon) and be aware of the name of these three chemicals. Check the labeling and always choose the most natural option.

The quantity of nail polish or nail polish remover is the key part in deciding the risk level of your pet gets it into his head to eat it! Check how much is left in the bottle and to see if most of it may have ended up in the carpet.

A small amount of either will most likely be taken care of by the acid in your dog’s stomach. The most that is likely to happen is stomach cramps and a possible loss of appetite for a while.

If vomiting occurs it could indicate a more serious problem, and it may mean Fido has eaten the whole bottle! Use your judgment to decide whether to call your vet, if he is in obvious distress you should reach for your phone!

I suspect my dog has eaten something toxic what should I do?

Dog laying on the floor

Dogs are inquisitive by nature, so it is inevitable that they will end up eating something they shouldn’t. It could be something seemingly innocuous like a chocolate bar or something in the backyard, which turns out to be poison.

  • Diarrhea
  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Seizure
  • Tremors
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy

These are common signs of poisoning in dogs and if you start to see signs of them seek advice from your vet.

At what stage should I start to worry if my dog might have eaten something he should not?

If you suspect your dog may have eaten something he should not have and may have accidentally been poisoned, you should observe him for signs of changes in behavior, which may indicate a problem.

If your dog shows real signs of distress, such as prolonged vomiting or seizure you should contact your vet immediately. Under no circumstances should you attempt any home cure such as inducing vomiting, it could make the problem far worse!

What other household poisons should I worry about my dog eating?

family dog

There is a wide range of things around your house and backyard which could be potentially harmful your pet from the obvious poisons to some unexpected items.

You may also wan to read an article which describes common backgarden plants that are poisonous to your dog.

This is by no means a comprehensive list, and even simple plant bulbs could potentially be a source of poison, but some of the more common ones are:

  • Raisins
  • Chocolate
  • Bleach
  • Oven cleaner
  • Acorns
  • Plant bulbs
  • Xylitol
  • Laundry detergent
  • Paracetamol
  • Antidepressants
  • Rat Poison
  • Yew trees

Use common sense and get as much information as possible to study. It is your duty to protect your loyal best friend!

Keeping Your Home Poison Free

Every year many dogs die tragically in their homes because of poisoning. They accidentally ingest poisonous substances that are left carelessly around the house. If people would be more careful, most of these accidents could be avoided. Therefore, to keep your home free of poison make sure that you do not leave things around that could be harmful to your dog.

Dogs learn how to get into closets and low cabinet areas where cleaning supplies are stored and somehow manage to ingest something that accidentally poisons them. To protect your dog from getting into the closets or low cabinet areas, check the doors to make sure that they fit properly. You can also install child proof or pet proof locks on the doors so that your dog cannot open them.

Make sure that you always keep cleaning supplies away from your dog in areas where he cannot reach them and make sure that the caps are securely in place. Do not leave any cleaning supplies that you are using unattended at any time and within reach of your dog. It will only take him a moment to lick bleach or any other cleaning product that is harmful to him and make him sick. Your dog can even become ill just by sniffing bleach.

According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), human medications have been the top hazard on their list of pet poisons for many years. In 2008, they received more than 50,000 calls about pets taking both prescription and over the counter pills. Therefore, it is very important that you keep human medications completely out of the reach of your dog at all times. It is preferable if you keep them in a medicine cabinet where your dog cannot reach them.

When using flea and tick medications on your dog, make sure that you follow the instructions on the label. Always make sure that you use the correct flea and tick medication on your dog as poisoning related to them has always been a real problem. Also, make sure that you keep other insecticides away from him because they could be harmful if ingested.

You should also make sure that you keep drain cleaners, anti-freeze, and other chemicals in a safe place away from your dog. If he ingests any of these products, they can kill him. Rat poison is very harmful to your dog and can kill him so do not use it near him.

There are some houseplants that are poisonous to dogs, so if you have any, keep them away from your dog, preferably up high where he cannot reach them. You should also keep plants that are not poisonous away from your dog to avoid him from digging into them.

In addition to those items mentioned above that can be poisonous to your dog, you should be careful what you give him to eat. A specific item that is extremely dangerous and can poison your dog is chocolate. If eaten, it can cause your dog to have tremors, seizures and heart problems.

You can avoid a lot of problems if you keep things that you bring home away from your dog. For instance, do not leave a can of paint that you bring into the house or fluid used to light your barbecue grill carelessly. Your dog can easily get to it and if ingested can definitely poison him. Always exercise caution to protect your dog and don’t let him become a victim.

Related Questions

My dog ate a paper towel with nail polish remover what should I do?

It is highly unlikely your dog will get sick from eating a simple paper towel with nail polish remover on it as the quantity is probably too small to do much harm. However, you should observe him for a few days in case there is any change in behavior like a loss of appetite or vomiting.

My dog ate dried nail polish, will he get sick?

Your dog will be fine if he ate just a little bit. The most that could happen is a little upset stomach. As the nail polish is dried it is most likely non-toxic and it will be a non-issue. Unless any obvious symptoms occur like vomiting, there is little to worry about.

I suspect my dog has eaten nail polish remover, how long should I observe him?

There is unlikely to be any danger as your dog’s stomach acid is likely to take care of the issue, but you should monitor him for a period of one to four days just to see if there might be signs of stomach cramps or a lack of appetite, but do not be overly concerned.

Leave a Comment

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)