Backyard Plants That Are Poisonous To Your Dog

There are many people who love to landscape and beautify their yard. They do their backyard gardening and plant different types of plants and shrubs including the oleander. Some people might even build a nice comfortable dog house next to the oleander without giving it a second thought. What most people don’t realize though is that the oleander is poisonous and if one leaf falls into your dogs water and your dog sips the water it could kill him.

In North America alone, there are about a thousand species of plants that are considered poisonous to dogs and, for that matter, to other house pets. On many occasions, when a dog owner takes his dog to the veterinarian because of some sort of illness, the veterinarian would explain to the owner that the problem is due to poisoning. The owner’s first reaction is to blame an outsider for poisoning his dog.

However, over 95 % of such visits to the veterinarian are as a result of backyard poisoning. Dog owners plant daffodils or bulbs of hyacinth to beautify their landscape without knowing that these ordinary plants can be fatal to their dog. A dog can literally dig into the ground and unearth a bulb of the hyacinth and chew on it. The moment he swallows pieces of the bulb it would become lethal and kill him.

most common garden plants that are poisonous to dogs

  • Daffodil bulbs
  • Amaryllis bulbs
  • Tulip bulbs
  • Lily of the valley
  • Azalea
  • Cyclamen
  • Aconitum
  • Yew
  • Day lilies
  • Rhododendron
  • Delphiniums
  • Asparagus fern
  • Foxgloves
  • Sweet pea
  • Hyacinth
  • Nightshade
  • Hemlock
  • Laburnum
  • Lupins
  • Wisteria
  • Morning glory
  • Hydrangea
  • Ivy
  • Oleander
  • Rhubarb leaves
  • Umbrella plant

Popular plants such as autumn crocus, glory lilies, and the star-of-Bethlehem are all poisonous. The lily-of-the-valley is a beautiful plant that is very popular and you can see them in many homes. They are also very deadly. If ingested by your dog, it can be fatal and kill him.

A true plant lover would beautify his yard with black eyed susan, bleeding heart, cornflower, golden glow, lantana and sweet peas not realizing that these plants are poisonous and are dangerous to dogs. Either he should not have a dog or be very careful that his dog does not lurk around these plants.

The poinsettia is a very beautiful plant that is popularly known everywhere as the “Christmas Plant”. It is used in hundreds of thousands of homes during the Christmas holidays. But what people don’t know is that this very beautiful and popularly known plant contains some mild toxic that can affect your dog. Even though they are not poisonous, if ingested by your dog, it can cause mild vomiting and drooling or irritation to the skin.

If you like to get hands dirty yourself, then you may want to read advice on how to dogscape your backyard.

How To Recognize Dog Poisoning

Dogs are by nature very inquisitive and it sometimes gets them in trouble with poisonous products. Therefore, all dog owners should be very concerned about dog poisoning. Some dog owners are afraid that an unfriendly neighbor, perhaps because of some dislike or misunderstanding, might deliberately poison their dog. Of course, such cases although unfortunate are very rare.

Dog Poisoning is usually as the result of someone’s carelessness or ignorance. For instance, your dog can get lead poisoning from chewing on painted objects or from licking old paint cans that are lying carelessly around the garage.

You could be cleaning around the house, spraying for insects or small rodents using an agent that contains phosphorous. If your dog sniffs an amount of this agent, he can get phosphorous poisoning. Also, if you are using rodent poison to get rid of mice and rats, chances are that your dog may eat some of it and get poisoned.

If your dog is playing outside and he nips on the leaves of bushes or plants that have been sprayed, he can get poisoned. Garbage cans are attractive to dogs and if they can get to it they may find disposed medicines, old pills and powders, any of which could be harmful to the dog. The most common form of sickness from garbage cans that affects dogs is from decaying meat.

There are many things that your dog can get poisoned from if ingested. Some of these are drugs, plants, insecticides and pesticides. The most common type of poisoning though, are insecticides and pesticides followed by drugs and plants.

Because there are many plants that are very dangerous to your dog, you may not want to keep them at home. Some of them are very popular plants such as Aloe Vera, Amaryllis, Boxwood, Calla Lilly, Daffodil, English Ivy, Oleander, Sago Palm and Yellow Jasmine.

In the event that your dog has been poisoned, you will notice some of the following symptoms.

  • You will see a change in the size of his pupils or cloudiness in his eyes
  • You may see him develop blue gums
  • In severe cases you will see convulsions
  • He may have diarrhea with streaks of blood
  • He may have difficulty breathing
  • In severe cases he may lose consciousness
  • He may be nervous, excited or depressed
  • You may see him trembling or stumbling
  • You may see him vomiting

If you suspect that your dog has been poisoned, call your veterinarian or the animal poison control center immediately. Make sure that you have your dog’s veterinarian information handy and if you know what your dog ate, have that available also. If your veterinarian asks you to induce vomiting, ask him what to give your dog. Because some poisons are caustic and can severely harm your dog, inducing vomiting is not always the best way to go, so be very careful as to what you give your dog. It’s always better to follow your veterinarian’s instructions. More than likely he will tell you to mix hydrogen peroxide with an equal amount of water or two teaspoons of regular table salt to a cup of warm water and give it to your dog to drink.

Note: Do not give your dog any of the family remedies that you keep in your medicine cabinet because they are not good for dogs. Also, do not give your dog tonics that contain an amount of strychnine because dogs are highly sensitive to this drug and it can cause your dog serious harm.

If somehow your dog has ingested a large dose of poison, it can have a sudden and devastating effect on him. However, If your dog ingests small amounts of dog poisoning over a period of time, the poison will slowly take effect and weaken him and you will start seeing some of the symptoms already listed above.

To wrap up

Therefore, before you do your landscaping and beautify your yard with all types of plants and shrubs, find out everything you can about the plants you want. Make sure that they are not poisonous, or at least, knowing that they are dangerous, take the necessary precautions to avoid your dog from getting to them.

Leave a Comment